Our software is free. We do kindly ask that you visit our sponsors (above) so that we can recover some of our costs.
Metalogic Finance Explorer: What's New
- The transaction report now accepts asterisks (*) as wildcards for selecting categories.
- Resizing the app while viewing a report no longer causes an error.
- Database is backed up at the beginning of every session.
- If there is a crash, a file is created to assist support.
- Notes increased from 50 to 255 characters.
- Some stability improvements.
- Optionally filter transaction report by categories.
- Export files in CSV format (as well as OFX).
- Investment quantity supports decimals now.
- Help has been moved online.
- More detailed error message if errors are encountered on start-up.
- Help not launching in portable edition.
- A transactions report with user-defined time range.
- Category Rules (Tools > Category Rules...) can be setup to automatically categorize transactions as they are imported.
- Donate option (Help > Donate) to support Metalogic Software.
- Window size and column widths are now remembered between sessions
- Fixed some non-English characters displaying incorrectly in non-English versions of Windows
- The size of the grid columns is now maintained when you switch views
- Better installer experience on Windows 7
- Fixed issue with copying transactions to another month
- Added option to update stock quotes on startup
- Investment totals are now calculated
- The import will never modify the imported file
- Minor UI improvements
- Fixed incorrect budget totals
- All files are now removed during uninstall
- Better error messages
- Issue with loading OFX files with extra blank lines
- Automatic check for updates once a week so you are always running the latest version
- Budget tooltips last much longer to give you the opportunity to finish reading them
- Tooltips appear even if the grid doesn't have the focus
- Improved combo-box auto-complete
- Combo width auto-adjusts to fit all the text
- When changing group sort, it doesn't collapse the groups
- Grid navigation is more consistent with other popular applications such as Excel and Outlook
- When new rows are added, they are added in the correct sort order instead of at the bottom
- Can paste text into a cell that is not in edit mode
- When navigating over columns, read-only columns are skipped
- Data is validated before being saved when closing the application
- Modifying a transaction amount then going to the budget properly refreshes the account balance
- The home view now has a link to the forum.
- An issue with imported ofx files where ampersand symbols would not be imported correctly.
- The home view now shows stock quotes as well.
- Error that could occur when navigating using the tree.
- Support for Windows 95 has been discontinued.
- Errors are now handled better. An appropriate message is given.
- Issue with copying budget categories that contained quotes.
- Web-style "home" with account summaries, common tasks and convenient shortcuts.
- Add print toolbar button
- Add "Check for Updates" menu item
- Fix grid row height at different DPIs
- Use the default Windows font.
- Don't load check numbers that are all zero.
- Fixed second total now showing sometimes.
- Themes are now supported so MLFE looks much better under Windows XP and beyond (Windows Vista, etc.)
- The QIF import has been reworked. I now supports the importing of categories. It also handles complex files better.
- Under certain circumstances, not all budget entries would print.
- If an invalid number was entered in the Split Transaction dialog and Cancel was selected, an error would occur.
- When collapsing a tree node and the selected node changed, the information on the right panel would not change.
- Export. The format is Open Financial Exchange (OFX) which is supported by Microsoft Money and most other financial packages.
- Now you can select which accounts are included in the budget.
- Budget categories now have a tooltip with details about the transactions in that category.
- Improved the loading of QIF files for multiple accounts.
- The budget group total now shows actual total in addition to budgeted total.
- The Account # is now validated to ensure it is unique.
- While importing, the status bar indicates what file is being imported and the cursor is changed to an hourglass.
- The information wasn't being refreshed after an import.
- Accounts were sorted differently in the treeview and the grid.
- The loan's interest rate column now allows decimal values.
- Removed an erroneous message from the status bar which referred to a non-existent context menu.
- Categories without a group show under group "(none)".
- When deleting a row from the budget, the grouping would get lost.
- After adding a row, sometimes some values would be left in the "add row".
- When scrolling the list of categories in the drop-down, it would scroll all the way to the bottom instead of a single line.
- Can now copy from one cell to another in the "add row".
- Sometimes when adding a budget entry with a blank category, an error about a null would occur. It now validates that the category is entered.
- Added keyboard shortcuts to "Import...", "Copy Budget From Previous Month" and "Split Transaction" menus.
- When deleting a row from the grid, it appeared to delete two.
- On some older computers, copy budget wouldn't work.
- Sometimes the check for existing transactions wouldn't work resulting in duplicate transactions being loaded (only for QIF format).
- Older Quicken (QIF) files were not importing.
- The column labels under investment were incorrect. Also some columns that should have been hidden were showing.
- The import's open file dialog did not validate that the file name was of an existing file.
- If the columns of the grid where moved, data validation wouldn't work properly.
- Major rework of OFX (Money, Quicken) import. Many more financial institution's downloads supported.
- Downloaded files with an extension of "ofc" are now recognized by the import.
- When copying the budget to another period, transactions outside of a valid category were assigned a blank category instead of "(none)".
- When adding a transaction when there were no other transactions, an error would occur.
- Import would not load any transactions from OFC (a variant of OFX) files. No errors were reported.
- "About" menu item read "My Finance Explorer" instead of "Metalogic Finance Explorer".
- We are now able to delete categories with transactions. Orphan transactions are moved to category (none) .
- Improved reliability of the installer.
- When installing a newer version, the Windows Add/Remove dialog showed more than one version of MFE.
- Budget view is now grouped by category group and includes a budgeted total in the footer.
- Added a link button to the toolbar which allows you to get to your bank's website with one click.
- Added Options dialog which allows entering of your bank's www address.
- Added dialog to Split transaction which allows changing of the split amount.
- Moved add row to top.
- Changed grid colours for some better ones.
- Import menu item now goes to the last folder used.
- Add button is now enabled while in TreeView.
- Split transaction wasn’t displaying the new row unless we left the view and came back.
- Deleting a record had trouble with categories which had an apostrophe (').
- Copying the budget had trouble with categories which had an apostrophe (').
- Under certain circumstances a record could be created with a duplicate key.
- Totals in budget, transaction and account views didn't include opening balance.
- When choosing map to existing account option in import transactions, account type was getting disabled but not account description.
- If we cancelled Account Not Found dialog, the import file was kept open.
- If we were in edit mode but hadn't changed any data, we couldn't leave the grid.
- New button and menu item were inconsistently enabled.
- Add button is now enabled when in the tree.
- Improved OFX (Quicken, MS Money) import so it can handle differences in format from more banks.
- Removing an account also removes it from the tree.
- Deleting from the toolbar or by pressing delete on the grid was behaving differently.
- Moving to another period, kept the grid in edit mode.
- Upon pressing on New, it wasn't entering edit mode.
- Net Worth view wasn't validating that an account description had been added.
- Couldn't handle budget categories which contained an apostrophe (').
- When viewing transactions, total was sometimes inaccurate.
- When importing transactions, it sometimes put a cheque number in transactions that didn't have one.
- Truncate imported memo fields to 50 characters. Before it was blowing up.
- Handle imported transactions with a blank transaction description.
- When leaving the grid, the edited row wasn't getting committed.
- Errors occurred when the window was sized too small.
- Added balance column to loans.
- Removed use of registry.
- Downgraded minimum HTML help version from 1.1 to 1.0 to minimize installation download.
- Replaced year spin buttons for a smaller control to minimize installation download.
- Fixed validation when in account view.
- Loans view was showing the interest under the original amount column and vice-versa.
- Investment view was not hiding total 2.
- Loan view was not hiding total 2.
- Fixed alignment of totals below column.
- Changed current balance column to read-only in account view.
- Metalogic Finance Explorer is now free!
- An error was occurring when importing financial data.
- There was a problem with the total calculation on transaction view when there was data for multiple years.
- The year spin (up/down) button wasn't working.
- QIF support can now handle more variations in the QIF format produced by different banks.
- The import open dialog now filters for all supported financial files instead of OFX and QIF separately.
- The import now also loads memo fields.
- Added QIF format to supported imports.
- Added help.
- Extensive testing and rework of installer to ensure trouble free installs.
- Installer only downloads components if needed.
- User interface now nicer and more useful.
- Maximized use of screen space by extending the grid to the very edge of the window on the right.
- Renamed root TreeView node to "Net Worth" from "My Finances" to be clearer and more consistent.
- Bug that prevented from moving two transactions in a row to the next or previous period.
- Wasn't displaying the current TreeView node in the title bar when first starting the program.
- Add and Delete buttons on the toolbar not always enabled/disabled at the right time.
- When deleting a character while editing a cell, it would try to delete the entire row.
- Installer will not download certain files if they are already on the system. This provides for faster installs.
- Further tweaked the installer to increase reliability.
- Tweaked installer to increase reliability.
- Cleaned up the code to be smaller and faster.
- Initial Release